Saturday, November 21, 2009

Thanksgiving Potluck

I’m surprised Val hasn’t fired me.

I have been woefully negligent when it comes to contributing to this random mess of a blog. We had a plan… and even a schedule. We both try and blog at least once a week… occasionally one of us will make it twice. This was not one of those weeks.

Next week will not be one of those weeks, for we are fleeing the country. The family is picking up and heading to Mexico to celebrate Thanksgiving. One of the girls at work asked me wide-eyed, “Are you going on a mission trip?” Um. Not exactly? I’m sure we will have opportunities to love and share with the people we come into contact with, but it will be at our hotel in Play Del Carmen and we will more than likely enjoy it without the turkey.

I don’t really enjoy Thanksgiving food. In fact, last year we all traded in the turkey for filet mignon. That’s right. Thank you Lord. When I was little (read: up until college) I would fill my Thanksgiving plate with dark meat, ketchup, crescent rolls, and maybe carrot sticks for good measure. I didn’t really care for anything else and the smell of German noodles kind of made me sick. Come to think of it, the smell of boiled onions at the other grandparent’s house also made me sick. I don’t think I’ve ever thrown up at Thanksgiving, but then again, I don’t think anyone ever forced me to eat green bean casserole.

ALSO – (random side tangent) why didn’t my family ever get the whole bird on the table like every movie ever made? Never. I’ve never gotten a piece cut at the table. I heard some excuse about the electric knife not reaching into the dining room and making too much noise.

Thanksgiving mash-up menus… jealous? I’m not.

Grandma Ann and Grandpa Joe’s:

  • Turkey
  • Stuffing
  • White Rice
  • Sweet Potato Casserole
  • Baby Pearl Onions
  • Crescent Rolls
  • Cranberry and Orange Relish
  • Asparagus
  • Pumpkin Pie
  • Pecan Pie
  • Vanilla Ice Cream

Grandma Doris and Grandpa Glenn’s:

  • Turkey
  • Stuffing
  • German Noodles
  • Green Bean Casserole
  • Sweet Potato Casserole
  • Crescent Rolls
  • Canned Cranberry Lump Thing
  • Beats?
  • Chocolate Pie
  • Lemon Meringue Pie
  • Pecan Pie
  • Pumpkin Pie
  • A bazillion deserts that sit in Tupperware on the washer and dryer

Best Thanksgiving Memories:

  • Getting to drink soda.
  • Going to a movie every year… nice tradition.
  • Spending it freezing in Jamaica.
  • Almost dying when the car was stuck in the snow in Red Cloud New Mexico (no yelling by my parents in this moment.)
  • Sledding in the Sand Dunes of Red Cloud New Mexico
  • Really fun time with cousins
  • Really boring time with cousins
  • Standing in a giant circle dressed up, holding hands, and praying together.
  • Going around the table and saying what we were thankful for – Clay’s answer was highly sarcastic.
  • Having so many reasons to give thanks.

“Give thanks to the LORD, for he is good. His love endures forever.” Psalm 136:1

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Red Cloud, NM? Cloudcroft. :)