Friday, October 8, 2010

The Red Shoes

Yesterday was my last day at work. It's not a leave of absence or a vacation. I'm leaving the job I've had since moving to Arizona four years ago next month. I'm moving to the other side of the city to be with my (almost) husband. We figured that once we were hitched it might be nice to live in the same house. The commute to my old job would have been at least an hour each way and up to two hours in traffic. It wasn't practical. But that doesn't mean I won't miss the people and the place terribly... because I will. I was showered with love and kind words (and incredible food) all day yesterday. These are the co-workers who became my friends and then became my family out here in the desert.

While change brings grief it also brings... well... change. New church. New friends. New creative opportunities. New home.

Can I brag on the man who will become my husband in 9 days? He came home from work late after a long meeting and still insisted on taking me out to dinner. When we returned home he casually handed me a box from Amazon and said, "Sorry. I accidentally opened it and I think it's for you." I opened it and found a card with LOTS of words! (My true love language) In it D thanked me for all the sacrifices I am making to be with him - and his pledge for us to see my friends often and to help me adjust to all the changes in whatever ways I needed.

If that wasn't enough... below the card I found a box... that held these:
Yes, the shoes are super cute and a pair that I've been eyeing for months. But more than anything these shoes remind me that we are in this change TOGETHER.

New page. New chapter.

And for the WIN: A man who is always finding new ways to show me love.

5 comments:

Erin said...

That post brought tears to my eyes. For many reasons. So full of happiness that you and David found one another. Love you...

shannonmichaelis said...

I think I need some D love in the form of some red shoes as well....

Anonymous said...

Did you tell him your second love language is shoes or did he figure that out on his own? He is amazing. You are amazing. God is amazing! -m

Julia said...

Ginger... I lived in my own apartment for 6 years before getting married. While I didn't have to quit my job or move to another part of town before my wedding, I did have to move out of my single girl apartment and blend my things with his.

The night before my wedding rehearsal, I was so sad. Lump in my throat, tears in my eyes sad. I think I was grieving the single girl.

But I had found a great guy who helped me through it and understood the independent girl he was marrying. I think David is the perfect catch....and is helping you already.....letting go of the single Ginger.

You are in for a wonderful life with that guy. Have a fun wedding. Take in every moment of the celebration.

Can't wait to see the pictures!

xoxo, Julia

shanna said...

I'm so glad you linked to this post today because I needed to read it. I SO SO get it! Even when you move for a great reason (hello? LOVE!) it can still be overwhelming to have so many new things. Some days I'm all sunshine about it, but some days (i.e., today) I'm just thinking, man, I look forward to things feeling familiar again. All in time.

PS - totally my love language, too. must be a writer thing. : )