Saturday, February 8, 2020

13th Annual Oscar Picks

Lucky number 13! I think that clearly means that THIS is the year I'll DEFINITELY get every category correct! Just like always.*

(Previously: 2019, 2018, 2017, 2016, 201520142013, 2012, 2011, 2010, 2009, 2008.)


Best Picture: Let's not fixate on this, but it's been a WHILE since I called this category correctly. Fortunately I think this is the year I turn it around: I'm going with "1917." The only possible upset that I can envision is "Parasite," but I'm still sticking with the heartfelt, technical wizardry of "1917."

Best Director: Tough category, but I think the serious contenders are Bong Joon Ho, Quentin Tarantino, and Sam Mendes. I honestly wouldn't be surprised to see any of them win, which makes this an exciting category to watch! However, while I don't like being a slave to the math or history of predictions, it's been many, many years since the winner of the Directors Guild Award didn't go on to win to Oscar, so I'm going with Sam Mendes.

Best Actor: This is a year where it seems like each of the acting categories are prettttttty sewn up. Anything can happen, of course, but all of the awards have been going to the same people in each of the four categories. So let's do these quickly! Best Actor is definitely going to Joaquin Phoenix. (As much as I may be personally pulling for Adam Driver...)

Best Actress: Renee Zellwegger will win her second career Oscar for her portrayal of Judy Garland in the lovely, heartbreaking "Judy."

Best Supporting Actor: The only thing better than Brad Pitt winning his first Oscar is the anticipation of what is sure to be another amazing, hilarious speech.

Best Supporting Actress: Scarlett Johansson was MAGIC in "Jojo Rabbit," and I'd love to see her win, but I believe this award belongs to our girl Laura Dern. And no one's mad about that. Not even Scarlett, I don't think.

Animated Feature: Remember when "The Missing Link" won the Golden Globe? Man. That was wild. And then "Klaus" won the Annie Award? I mean, it's cool to mix things up, but what is happening to the world? Don't they know Pixar is always supposed to win? (Kidding.) (But they will this year.) I think it'll be "Toy Story 4!"

Production Design: Man. Talk about a stacked category. It should come down to "1917" and "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood," with the award going to "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood."

Cinematography: ROGER! clapclapclap DEAKINS! clapclapclap Hollywood's reigning King of Cinematography will take home his second career Oscar, this time for "1917."

Costume Design: Let's be honest: "Jojo Rabbit" should win this one purely for Sam Rockwell's battle costume alone. Full stop. But I think this category is where "Little Women" will eke out its only win of the night.

Film Editing: Remember when "Bohemian Rhapsody" won this category last year? BON-KERS. I mean, LOOK AT THIS. Moving on. "Ford v Ferrari" and "Parasite" seem to be in a dead heat. But in the end, cutting between shots in racing scenes is a lot more flashy than the building tension of "Parasite," so I'm picking "Ford v Ferrari."

Makeup and Hairstyling: All of the love for the makeup in "Bombshell" has been going to Charlize Theron and her transformation into Megyn Kelly, and rightfully so. But let's not forget what they did to Nicole Kidman's face to make her resemble Gretchen Carlson. It was unreal! Anyway, if you couldn't tell, I'm picking "Bombshell" to win this category.

Original Score: Man. You know what's crazy? Thomas Newman has NEVER won an Oscar. We're talking about the composer of "Wall-e," 1994's "Little Women," "Finding Nemo," "The Shawshank Redemption," and so many more. This is his 14th nomination in this category, and it would be amazing to hear his name called. Unfortunately, I think Hildur Gudnadóttir will sneak in here with a win for "Joker."

Original Song: My personal favorite song on this list is "Stand Up." It's so, so good, and I frequently listen to it on repeat. Cynthia Erivo's voice is just OUT OF THIS WORLD. Plus if she wins here, she'll officially be the youngest EGOT winner in history. So let's just say I'm pulling for her here, despite that I'm predicting the award to go to Elton John for "(I'm Gonna) Love Me Again" from "Rocketman."

Original Screenplay: Conventional wisdom says that Bong Joon Ho will win this one for "Parasite," but for some reason I can't fathom Quentin Tarantino's name not being called in this category. I think it's going to be "Once Upon a Time in Hollywood."

Adapted Screenplay: You know what's possible? Greta Gerwig winning for "Little Women." You know what's not going to happen? An Academy of 68% male members voting for "Little Women." Where's the lie? ANYWAY. I think Taika Waititi's going to win for "Jojo Rabbit," and Taika giving an acceptance speech at the Oscars is a win for us ALL.

Sound Mixing: Racing sounds verses war sounds. Is it 2018, and I'm being forced to decide between "Baby Driver" and "Dunkirk" again? With "Ford v Ferrari" and "1917" going head to head in this category, it certainly feels like it! Picking the war movie worked for me then, so let's try it again now: "1917."

Sound Editing: Honestly, for the same logic I just used, I'm going with "1917" here too.

Visual Effects: "1917" was made to look like it was shot in one continuous take. But it wasn't. That's what is going to win it the award for Visual Effects.

Documentary Feature: This one should be going to "American Factory," but if not, don't be surprised to see "Honeyland" zip away with the win.

Documentary Short: All signs are pointing to a big win by "Learning to Skateboard in a Warzone (If You're a Girl)." Let's go, girls!

International Feature Film: Definitely, definitely, definitely "Parasite."

Animated Short: "Hair Love" dissolved my heart and made me weep. And with its cool story of how it got made, it would be amazing to see it win. And you know what? I think it will. I'm going with "Hair Love."

Live Action Short: Let's... go... with... "Brotherhood." (?)

*🎵 That's not truuuuuuuue! 🎵

1 comment:

SKMorbys said...

Yes, yes, and yes! I think you’ve hit them all!