Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Modern Proverbs

I decided that my post yesterday was about as exciting as an episode of "Dharma and Greg". I'm stuck using the library computer (1 hour limit per day) and by the time I had checked e-mail, bank accounts and the like - I was left with the water bottle story.

I've been going through all my old journals trying to pick up the most important tidbits I've learned over the last 10 years of my life - which includes a ridiculous prom (maybe that can be my next post), moving to Houston, starting college, working at camp, mission trips, heart-aches, the move to Arizona, the gift of some shiny poetry...and on and on. So far the list looks too short for a full decade, but I'm hoping to add to it as I add to my years. Some are anonymous quotes, some are Biblical principles, some are words of advice from mentors, and still others are truths I've come to claim and believe for my own life.


In no particular order:


1. Everyone has bad days at work.
2. God says, “Know ME” and not “Know Thyself.”
3. God-esteem over self-esteem every time.
4. It is not good to be controlled by anything.
5. Live above reproach.
6. All things are lawful, but not all things are beneficial.
7. It is better to be anything deprived rather than God deprived.
8. There’s no benefit to anyone else when I try and appear perfect.
9. Why Abram? Maybe, simply, because he would GO.
10. We are not those who shrink back, but those who believe and are saved.
11. Gather experiences, not things.
12. Fear is not a valid excuse.
13. Singleness is not a condition or something to be endured.
14. Advance until you hear “stop”.
15. God is pleased with you BECAUSE he is pleased with his Son.
16. God cannot love you any more or any less than he does right now.
17. When reality and expectations don’t match up...all that’s left is disappointment.
18. God speaks to us in different ways. Listen for your story.
19. Open up your hands.
20. The type of bait you use determines the fish you will catch.
21. Quiet tension is not trust, it is simply compressed anxiety.
22. Comparison is the thief of joy.
23. Enthusiasm covers a multitude of sins.
24. Life is neither the candle nor the wick – it is the burning.
25. Eating ice cream for dinner is totally fine and completely worth it.

2 comments:

hootenannie said...

I'm printing these out. You think I'm joking? You are wrong. They are getting posted on my wall.

Lydia said...

Love those!