Monday, September 14, 2009

Never Being Alone


Arthur: Jenny, do you ever wish you’d never been born a queen?

Guenevere: Oh, occasionally. It’s never being alone that bothers me most. Do you know that I’ve never been without someone around me in my entire life? - from Camelot by Alan Jay Lerner

For the last 2 months I have entered into new uncharted lands of community. Obviously the show gave me some great opportunities to connect with new friends. Just a few weeks ago I jumped into the Youth Department at church and I’m now leading a Sr. High Small group on Wednesday nights, as well as my previous group from a local high school that meets on Tuesday nights. I started to dread the closing of the show, the return to the cycle of work and working out, when I realized that I can’t and won’t go back from here. As much as I enjoy my alone time, I’ve loved filling my life to the brim with people. No matter how ridiculous they may be, I have so enjoyed digging in and building relationships.

The next few months are brimming with possibility. I was texting with a friend tonight about the close of the show:

“Just finished cleaning up the theatre and eating with the cast. Done and Done! Can’t believe I just did that… the show, that is.”

“Perhaps there will be more to come?”

“I think so! Either another show or taking on the world… one of those!”

“Both.”

Yes, why not both?


*Photo by Arthur J. Zatarski

2 comments:

shannonmichaelis said...

love all the commentaries and photos from your bi show! how fun for you and so great that you tried out for it. go conquer that world, girlfriend!

katy said...

community is addicting. agreed.