Friday, August 28, 2009


Call it a clan, call it a network, call it a tribe, call it a family. Whatever you call it, whoever you are, you need one. - Jane Howard
It's 11:34pm on August 27th. My parents flew in from Texas sometime this evening. In fact, they are currently sleeping in my room as I type this sitting on an air mattress in my living room. I haven't seem them today. I will have to wait for the morning. It feels good to know they are just a room away.

Tonight was the final dress rehearsal and preview performance for my show. My Arizona parents came to the show. We aren't related, but they took me under their wing the first week I arrived here. As I walked forward to take my final bow just a few hours ago, I looked out and saw four hands holding up the "I Love You" sign. I knew it was for me. And I started crying.

I awoke this morning so very exhausted. I work until 5:00pm and spend 5:30pm until 11:00pm at the theater. I don't stop moving. All day long. I snag time in the Word as I drift asleep or eat my breakfast. I almost cried on the way in to work today as I prayed for Him to take whatever load I was trying to carry. There was just too much to be done. I so wanted to walk in the Spirit. But as I walked up to the doors I was cheerfully greeted by two near and dears and I promptly shut down. I met their smiles and hugs with a brisk walk and frustrated tone. I had failed the moment I stepped out of my car. By the time I made it to a 9:30 meeting I was about to break down again. But two friends sat, listened and encouraged. I took a deep breath and made it to lunch.

This was my last week in the children's department. Starting Tuesday I will officially be working with the youth department at our church. It's a huge change and I'm every emotion under the sun. To send me off several friends and co-workers went to lunch. They were kind and generous with their words, and the exhaustion and stress once again lost their will to fight me.

I was worried about having everything ready for tomorrow. Val and Dad share August 28th for their Birthday. My mom and dad were Arizona bound and I didn't even have paper towels in my apartment. I was out of time. I was panicked about finishing filming in time to leave for the theatre and be ready for mic check. At 4:00pm all the power went out on the entire street. No lie. No more filming. No more work. Time to buy paper towels.

As I thanked the Lord for this unexpected gift I ran back to pack my bags and clear my desk. Sitting in front of my computer was a beautiful bouquet of flowers along with a card signed by some near and dears. I crawled into my car and sat amazed as the tears started to come again.

The final dress rehearsal was smooth... mostly. I never did eat dinner. I should already be in bed. But I can't sleep. I'm thinking about my sister coming to visit in one week. I'm setting out my Dad's Birthday card by the coffee maker, since he will be up hours before me and will probably have changed my air filters by the time I get up.

I'm tearing up again because HE is so good. He has blessed me beyond measure. My family is everywhere. And they are amazing.

Happy Birthday Val and Dad. I love you.


Valerie said...

Thanks for making me cry as soon as I got out of bed this morning. :) Love you too!

ONE WEEK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

theamaros said...

Whatever department you are in, you are a gift to our church and to my family :) And I cannot wait to see the show!!

katy said...

youth will be good.

also, i love waiting for guffman. especially when he's dancing in his little apartment with his clothes on backward.