Wednesday, January 5, 2011

Resolution?

Following the lead of several blogging friends and advisors, D and I set out to make our family goals for the year. Making goals was such a different experience than last year. After a few tears and three nights of really good discussion we finally declared our personal and family goals. I was then all set to then publish my top 11 for the entire blog world to see… and then I read this post about NOT sharing your resolutions and goals. This left me confused. So I headed to a different source.

"So here's what I think: The best thing you can do right now is to finish what you started last year and not let those good intentions grow stale. Your heart's been in the right place all along. You've got what it takes to finish it up, so go to it. Once the commitment is clear, you do what you can, not what you can't." 2 Cor 8:10-12 Msg

So right here and now I officially resolve that in 2011 I will:

Love Jesus, love others and make more cake. [And not let these intentions grow stale.]

I started off 2011 by making a cake. I think the recipients were feeling the love. It's one of my favorite recipes [with tons of memories] and it is easy. (And I made it for my husband on our 4th date.)

Carrie's Chocolate Chip Pound Cake

(Recipe endorsed by ol' crazy eyes.)


Here's my treasured recipe from circa 2003.

Start by gathering the dry ingredients in a mixing bowl.
-Yellow Cake Mix
-Small instant chocolate pudding
-1/2 cup of sugar
*stir all together*

-Add 3/4 cup of oil
-3/4 cup of water
-4 eggs
-8 oz of sour cream (softened)
*stir all together*

-Stir in 1 cup of semi-sweet chocolate chips
-Spray bunt pan with non-stick Baker's Joy (don't skimp - your cake will thank you.)

-Pour batter into the bunt cake pan

-Bake the cake at 350 for 50 minutes to an hour
-Watch for the cake to pull away from the pan at the sides

-Allow the cake to rest 15-20 minutes and then flip onto a cake plate.
-Once the cake has cooled, sprinkle with powdered sugar.
-Strawberries make a nice touch - so does ice cream. :)
-(I added chocolate chips to cover the cracks that were a result of NOT
using enough spray to the pan.)

Mmmm. Love Jesus. Love others. Make cake.

Here's to 2011.

6 comments:

Jordy Liz said...

i make almost the exact same cake! except i nix the sour cream, do yellow cake mix with pudding already in it, and then throw in an extra instant vanilla pudding on top of the instant chocolate pudding.

you inpsired me with your "marriage" resolutions. i am going to sit my man down tonight and do the same for us. i'd love to hear what y'all's resolutions were.

Abby said...

Best and most honest resolution I've heard. :) Hope 2011 is very good to you friend!

ps: I am going to try to make that cake this weekend, looks yummy!

SKMorbys said...

Think maybe the problem (w/ the cracks) was that you used plain ol' PAM instead of BAKER'S SECRET (which has flour added to it)? :)

Anonymous said...

Looks yummy! :) -kelly s.

Erin said...

The cake was super fabulous, just like you :). Love you and your outlook on New Year Resolutions and your cake.

shannonmichaelis said...

Been making that cake for years! Tip for you - buy the Crisco spray with flour (that recipes has to have oil AND flour on the pan to prevent sticking). You won't regret it!

And look at you going to dinner with new neighbors. And you didn't even flour your bundt pan...

Cheers to cake!