Friday, September 3, 2010

36 Hours Till Daybreak* (original spelling)

Sometimes 'til just needs a little umph. I provide that.

I'm continuing the little trip down memory lane with part 2 of my short story from 6th... ok, maybe 7th or even 8th grade. You can find part 1 right here.

* * * *
"36 Hours till DAYBREAK"
Part 2
DFW Airport, 4:42pm
"I look like a mess," thought Blair. She was in a crowded restroom trying to bring life back to her face. She had not taken well to her flight, and now the thought of her flight to New York put more sag into her shoulders. She grabbed her earrings out of her purse and pushed them through her ears. She quickly dabbed powder to her nose and put on some lipstick.
"At least now I look human," she mumbled under her breath. As her shoes clicked along the floor, she realized that she needed to confirm dinner with her source. She looked for her cell phone, but it was roaming.
"Great!" She glanced over at a pay phone, forcing a quarter into it she dialed the number. After three rings a male voice answered.
"Hello."
"Yes, this is Blair Stevens. May I please speak with David Bradley?"
For a while there was no sound.
"Mam... I'm sorry but Mr. Bradley is unable to speak with you at the moment."
"Well will you confirm with him our dinner plans for this evening?"
"One sec."
A muffled sound came through the receiver.
"Ms. Stevens?" A new voice rang out.
"Yes."
"I'm sorry to tell you this... but Mr. Bradley was killed in his car this morning."
No sound.
"Mam?"
"Um. Yes. I'm here. This is just shocking news... I... um..."
"Yes?"
"Well, I just talked to him this morning over the phone."
"Ms. Stevens, I'm Jack Conol, the chief of police and I was wondering if you would mind coming over here for some questions?"
The home of the Bradleys, 5:36pm
"What am I doing here?" though Blair as she pulled up to the crime scene. She got out of the red Accord she had rented. Her long legs ached as she walked up the sidewalk. Several cops looked at her. She knew even at 35 she could still turn heads. She purposefully directed her gaze forward as a balding man came towards her.
"A smart looker," thought Jack. "Ms. Stevens, sorry to inconvenience you, but since you seem to have spoken to Mr. Bradley many times recently, and you might be the last person he spoke to, we had to ask you to come."
"I understand," said Blair.
"Good. Now let's go inside to talk."
As Blair and Conol quickly walked into the house he smiled. He was glad the two were talking... glad Bradley was dead. Now it would be that much easier to get rid of Blair.
* * * *
I hope that I too can one day be like Blair - pushing earrings through my ears and still making heads turn at 35. HAH.

2 comments:

hootenannie said...

hahahahahahah.

I love you, mam. :)

Jordy Liz said...

this story is awesome. at that age, i was a fan of ghost stories... i might have to pull some out of the archives myself...